Glenwood’s neighborhood street cleaning has been scheduled for Monday, May 13th. Please give the crews a hand by moving your vehicles off of the street (check with a neighbor if you’re in need of a temporary place to park).
The “My Edmonton” writing competition, presented by the City of Edmonton Youth Council in partnership with the Edmonton Journal, is a call for junior high and high school aged youth in Edmonton to tell us their true stories of being newcomers in Edmonton. Whether you moved to Edmonton from another town, province, or country, we’re interested in hearing about your experiences in this city.
The entry deadline is March 31, 2012. In each of the Junior High and High School categories, three top entries will be chosen. Prizes will be as follows:
First place: $250 cash prize
Second place: $200 cash prize
Third place: $150 cash prize
Winning entries will be published by the Edmonton Journal.
In addition, all winners will be honored at Edmonton’s Youth Week.
All winners will be notified of the results by May 2012.
Donations needed for Edmonton’s Food Bank
Each month year-round, more than 15,000 people are assisted by hamper programs, which are supported by Edmonton’s Food Bank. The organization also provides food to soup kitchens, shelters, snacks to school children and other programs assisting those less fortunate throughout our community. Edmonton’s Food Bank also provides programming that includes direct client services such as referrals to other agencies to ensure people are supported as much as possible.
During the holiday and festive season, we supply the following:
- turkeys and other food to community groups who serve meals to the disadvantaged; and
- festive hampers to people in need.
Our services are provided year-round. Our holiday campaign runs from November 21, 2011 to January 6, 2012 and our campaign goals for this year are 225,000 kilograms of food and $1,000,000.
At this point, Edmonton’s Food Bank has collected 60% of its food goal 50% of its fundraising goal. The public can support the Food Bank in the following ways:
- Participating in events such as Candy Cane Lane, CBC Turkey Drive, the Citadel Theatre’s Christmas Carol and more;
- Online contributions can be made by visiting www.edmontonsfoodbank.com and linking to the Canada Helps button at the top right corner;
- All major grocery stores will accept food donations; and
- Donors may drop off directly to Edmonton’s Food Bank at 11508 – 120 Street or by calling 780.425.2133.
We’re in the process of setting up a list of Neighbourhood Watch members who are willing to volunteer their time to help out at community fairs and other events we’re invited to. If you’re interested in adding your name to this list, please contact the office. We’ll get in touch with you when there is an event in your area.
We’d like to thank everyone who has joined our new Edmonton Neighbourhood Watch website. We encourage everyone to create a group for your community or join an existing one. We also encourage you to spread the word about the site and your group with everyone in your address book, so we can all get more involved in making our neighbourhoods safe.
We’re so proud of our new site that we’ve decided to start a contest to encourage members to join. Everyone who has joined our new website by the end of June will be entered into a draw to win a $50 Safeway gift card. We’ll randomly draw a name and will post the winner on our site. Let’s help grow our organization and help each other in crime prevention.
Denise Thursby | Program Director Edmonton Neighbourhood Watch Program | 9620 103A Avenue NW Edmonton, AB | T5H 0H7 | Phone: (780) 421-3428
Annual General Meeting was May 3rd
Thank you to those of you who attended our AGM on May 3rd. Although attendance was very low, we all enjoyed a delicious brunch, and got to chat about some of the issues that are occurring in our beautiful neighbourhood. We would like to welcome the current 2009-2010 Glenwood Community League executive.
Gary Racich – President (RETURNING)
Clayton Johnson – Vice President (RETURNING)
- Gaming Director (RETURNING)
- Sports Director (RETURNING)
Sheri Brydges – Secretary (RETURNING)
Harriet Fortuin – Treasurer (RETURNING)
Charlotte Larsen – Facility Director (RETURNING)
Michele Bugera – Membership Director (RETURNING)
– Newsletter Director (RETURNING)
Shannon Nichols – Program Director (New Member – Welcome!)
Ways to be a part of the community…
- Purchase a membership. Memberships in Glenwood Community League are still (after almost 20 years) only $25.00 per household and seniors 60+ are FREE! Memberships for 2009/2010 will be available at our Annual General Meeting on May 3rd, at 10am (or email glenwoodcommunity ‘at’ hotmail ‘dot’ com or call Michele at 780-439-3169).
- Come to a community league event –
- Come and play cards (Euchre) on a Tuesday – beginners welcome
- drop in at a community league meeting (first Thursday of every month, except summer months)
- come to Community Swim at Jasper Place Pool on a Sunday, 3-5pm (with membership)
- come to Hockey Night in Glenwood
- sign up for Adopt-A-Block to keep your street clean
- meet new friends and neighbours at our 70th Birthday Bash this fall
- register your children for one of the City of Edmonton programs going on at the hall this summer
- drop in to check out our summer Playground Program with your kids, nephews, nieces, grandkids or friends
- organize a block party on your street
- attend our annual Christmas Party
Mark your Calendar… September 12th, 2009 is the BIG DAY!
What Does a 70th Birthday Bash for a Community Look Like?
Fantastic food, fun, fireworks, friends, family, dancing, jumpy things for kids, door prizes, networking, neighbours, games and so much more!! This will be our biggest community event in YEARS and we are hoping to see so many people, new to the community and those who have been here for years joining together for a day of excitement. Email Michele at glenwoodcommunity ‘at’ hotmail ‘dot’ com to get more information or to volunteer your expertise!
Upcoming Scrapbooking Day Out
Katherine hosts scrapbooking days at the hall approximately every 2 months on a Saturday…. please contact her for upcoming dates at kewchuk ‘at’ telus ‘dot’ net or visit her website for more information at www.createwithkatherine.myctmh.com.
Join us for Euchre every Tuesday night at the Glenwood Community Hall. Registration at 6:30pm, games begin at 7pm. Anyone can come to play.
Family and Kids’ Stuff…
Registration for registered programs IS NOW ON!
We have two programs right here in our neighbourhood!
Go online at www.edmonton.ca and search Summer Program Guide for more information, or pick one up at City facilities. Register early to get your spot!
Green Thumbs (3-5 Years) 9-11:30 A.M. Class 317740 – $55 (August 10-14)
Come and get the scoop on growing flowers and vegetables. Learn some neat ways that our insect friends help us out in the garden! Planting seeds, crafting some beautiful bugs and making cool garden markers are all part of the fun!
Wild at Art (6-9 Years) 1:30-4 P.M. Class 318124 – $59 (August 10-14)
Explore the world of art in this program. Sample everything from molding clay, paper maché and painting in different forms.
Glenwood will once again be running FREE summer drop in playground program at the community league playground this summer. Please come out and enjoy games, crafts and other dramatic play. Last year was a great success, and we look forward to even higher numbers this year.
Don’t Forget about Free Swimming… (SUNDAYS 3-5)
With your Glenwood Membership, you can participate with your family at our Community Swim at Jasper Place Pool on Sundays from 3-5pm until the end of June.
Other Glenwood Information:
Have your say and find out about… Community development, League spending and changes, Programs offered, What’s new in Glenwood?
Community League meetings are open to everyone and are generally held at the hall at 7pm on the first Thursday of every month.
Are you hosting a birthday party? Baby or bridal shower? Family Reunion? Family Christmas Party? Consider renting the Glenwood Community Hall.
Friday/Saturday rentals: Members $150*, Non-Members $400
Sunday-Thursday rentals: Members $75*, Non-Members $150
Call the Facility Director, Charlotte at 444-0411
* Must be a member in good standing.