What you should know
Help prevent the spread of influenza
- If ill, stay home from work, school and avoid public places.
- One of the best ways to prevent influenza is to get the influenza vaccine every year.
- The pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccine is available the week of October 26, 2009.
- Clean hands frequently, especially after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose. Wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cough or sneeze into your sleeve rather than your hand.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth after shaking hands or touching hard surfaces like counters and door handles or other surfaces that may contain influenza and other viruses.
If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection with a sudden fever and cough:
Practice self-care and stay home from work or school for seven days from the start of your symptoms or until you are able to resume daily activities, whichever is shorter.